Our Green Credentials
The Overall UK Winner of the GTBS Goldstar 2013 for Guest Accommodation
Satish Kumar Editor of Resurgence and Ecologist magazine presenting Joy with the: GTBS UK Goldstar Award 2013
Supporting Devon Environmental Business Initiative Member
Hedgehog Corner are proud to be a Jurassic Coast Business Partner, with an optional £2 on every booking going to the Jurassic Coast Trust. The money raised contributes towards conservation and education projects all along the World Heritage Site, helping to spread learning and understanding about this globally unique coastline, and, crucially, to safeguard it so that future generations can enjoy it as much as we do today.
Here are some of the projects that you’re supporting by staying at Hedgehog Corner:
Charmouth & Lyme Regis Fossil Warden
The Jurassic Coast Trust funds a Fossil Warden to patrol the beaches at Charmouth and Lyme Regis. The warden advises people on the best places to look for fossils and, most importantly, how to stay safe and avoid the dangers of cliff falls.
The Trust organises training days for local school teachers, allowing them to inspire their classes about the spectacular site on their doorstep. The training is followed up with a grant to advance children’s learning through field trips and additional resources.
Great Dorset Beach Clean
The Trust provides equipment for the Great Dorset Beach Clean, which not only helps to protect our coastline from litter, but provides a fantastic and safe opportunity for local families and visitors to get hands-on and involved in looking after our World Heritage Site.
Mary Anning Fund
The Trust contributes towards the Mary Anning Fund, which pays for prime Jurassic Coast fossil finds to be displayed at local museums for all residents and visitors to enjoy.
East Devon's Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty
supported by Hedgehog Corner
Hedgehog Corner is an officially listed Business Partner (fund raiser) for "The Jurassic Coast" England's only Natural World Heritage Site. Donations help to preserve this 95 mile stretch of historic coastline, fund educational projects and information centres. There is an option for all our guests to donate £2 when booking. We hope you will join us in supporting this worthwhile living project.
Electric Car Charge Point
Hedgehog Corner TYPE 2, 32 amps, 230 volts
For our guests use for a small charge.
We are delighted with our latest green initiative for guests use.
In fact our next car will be an electric one so we too can benefit from this fantastic facility here on our premises.
Ian Crabbe of Evergreen Renewable Energy based in Lyme Regis came and fitted it for us - my next car will have to be electric!
A wonderful sanctuary just along the A35 where we sponsor the racoons. Please give us an update on them when you return.
Our Wildlife Friendly Certificate of Merit 2013
Delighted to have received this at Hedgehog Corner from The Lyme Regis Gardens Competition Judges this year for our lavender beds for bees, logs for wildlife habitat and bird feeders and nesting boxes amongst other features which you can see when you stay.
Green Statement and Policy
At Hedgehog Corner we are committed to preserving the quality of our Area of Outstanding Beauty. We have forged excellent relationships with our suppliers and continue to explore ways of improving our good practice, reduce costs and improve efficiency in all areas wherever possible.
We have installed 3 solar photovaltaic systems on the properties and at our family self-catering cottage Goodlands using local exemplary firm www.evergreenrenewableenergy.co.uk
- We are committed to meeting legislative requirements.
- We love this part of Devon on the border with Dorset here on the World Heritage Jurassic Coast and are striving to look after it for future generations.
- We hope you enjoy your visit to this Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty as much as we enjoy living here.
- We do our utmost to keep the area beautiful for everybody. Much of what makes this place special is the history and unspoiled beauty of its natural landscape.
- We won the 2013 Overall Winner in category in the Green Tourism Business Scheme www.green-business.co.uk which is backed by Visit England.
- We have recently installed an electric car charging point for our guests to use.
- Joy has undertaken a training course in Green Awareness with Global Action Plan's Senior Sustainable Business Consultant Alistair Mumford and has taken part in further courses with Sustainability South West.
- We are members of DEBI (Devon Environmental Business Initiative)
- We are official Ambassadors for the East Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty
- We are official Business Partners to help raise funds for The World Heritage Jurassic Coast
- We are committed to reducing pollution where possible with particular attention to removing ragwort immediately if spotted in our fields and on verges.
- Joy regularly takes a bin liner and picks up roadside rubbish thrown from cars between our front entrance and the bus stop on the A35.
- Water butts are placed all around the properties.
- We now have electric car charging points for guests use. Hedgehog Corner Type 2, 32 amps, 230 volts
- Cedar Hot Tubs are Eco Friendly with excellent insulation to keep costs down.
We have moved over to ethical and eco friendly products wherever possible. Light bulbs are replaced. More purchases, particularly from the "Ecover" and "Bio" range for the running and care of our properties (i.e. loo roll, kitchen rolls, paper and cleaning products) are being bought from the ethical superstore www.ethicalsuperstore.com. We also support www.climatecare.org who have a small donation every time we shop with the Ethical Superstore.
Our visitors may like to visit the Town Mill which sells their own ground flour, The Town Mill Cheesemonger has an incredible range of cheese and fresh fish is available from The Old Watch House on the Cobb.
Toiletries in our Bathrooms
Ecossential Elements moisturizer, soap and shower gel are based on natural and organic extracts, packed in recyclable and biodegradable materials. No products are tested on animals. Soaps and liquids are enriched with organic Aloe Vera.
- We support Taste of the West producers: www.tasteofthewest.co.uk
- Hangers Dairy the milkman supplies free range eggs along with
- Milk is from Craigs Farm 20 miles away.
- We support and encourage guests to visit nearby Millers Farm Shop.
- Wessex Flour Mill supply a range of flours for our home made bread.
- Biscuits are from the local Moores Biscuit Shop where you can visit their farm shop in Morecombelake just 5 minutes drive along the A35.
- "Clipper" of Beaminster, just 20 minutes away, supply our organic and Fairtrade teas & coffee, sugar.
- "Miles" ground coffee from Porlock.
- Muesli ingredients all sourced from local Healthfood Store "Ganesha" in Axminster.
- Award winning Four Elms Fruit Farm from nearby Sidmouth supply the apple juice found in your breakfast basket on arrival.
- Frobishers juice produced in Exeter
The central heating and Heatsave raditators have thermostatic valves so you can adjust your heat accordingly with Heatsave electric heaters. The property is double glazed with insulation in the roof and pipes are well lagged to stop energy escaping. Many of our appliances, including the boilers, are relatively new and thus energy efficient.
We have a Quooker (kitchen tap) in the for instant energy efficient instant boiling water in Acorns and our home - standby cost 3p per day! We highly recommend this product and happy to give a demonstration for anyone interested in buying one.
The toilets have twin flushes – the smaller button for the short flush – or are modern 6 litre flushes.
We are pleased to have installed 3 sets of PV Solar Panels to reduce our electrical consumption and a free electric car charger for guests to use here at Hedgehog Corner and at our large Holiday bungalow, Goodlands.
Linen is line dried where practicable.
Opposite is a photograph of the bird feeder in the garden. For the wildlife we have a wonderful natural habitat with pure meadow grass. In the field are foxes, badgers, deer and rabbits which can all be spotted. There are bird feeders dotted around the grounds with flora and fauna that has been undisturbed for years. We sponsor the racoons at Axe Valley Bird and Animal Park which is nearby and encourage visitors to the Axe Valley Wetlands a local Council conservation initiative. We are also an Official Ambassador for the East Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
We have an approved private contractor Viridor. Certain criteria have to be met by both parties regarding our waste disposal. Our brown water waste goes to our own garden Klargester bio digester which clarifies the waste which then runs to the ditch. Eco friendly laundry products are provided for your use (Bio liquid/Ecover) and we avoid bleach which upsets the tanks natural working process. We also make good use of the clothes and shoes recycling and charity bins provided by the council in local car parks and recycle worn sheets.
Local photographer Nigel Cook's work feature with local artist Hilary Buckley's paintings and pastels at Goodlands our holiday cottage. This is Hilary's version of nearby Comer Hill on the road to Bridport..
We have an online booking system which reduces the need for some paper and postal services.
Hedgehog Holly - the Illex aquifoliurn ferox Argentea which is the spiny cream-margined leaves and also known as 'Hedgehog Holly' - the ferox in Latin meaning fierce! There is some in various spots around Hedgehog Corner.
and Cowslips in the garden
Useful information for seeing nature first hand.
Dodpen and Woodhouse Riding Stables See our news article for more information and contact details
Walking in the area See www.dorsetforyou.com for information on over 3,000 miles of footpaths
We recommend keeping to trails and not on our local main roads. There are plenty of quiet villages and trails both woodland and cycle trails. Our local Axminster Tourist Information Office has cycle trail leaflets. www.axminstertouristinformationoffice.co.uk
We hope you have enjoyed reading our contribution on an increasingly important subject.