Your Host Joy
Joy, your host, established Hedgehog Corner in 1999 returning to her roots after a 20 year career in London. Joy is fourth generation - the daughter of a local farmer and cider maker - with a wealth of local knowledge to share with you. Joy can help you choose the best places to visit, cheapest parking spots and give an insight into the wide variety of fabulous places to eat locally from Hunters Lodge Inn within walking distance and River Cottage HQ just over a mile away - to the Hive Beach Café by the sea.
Certificates and Facts
We support Taste of the West www.tasteofthewest.co.uk which lists local produce outlets.
So that you can be assured you are in professional and safe hands these are some of our related achievements from recognised professional bodies within the hospitality industry.
Shortlisted for this November's 2013 National UK Green Tourism in Business Gold Star Awards as one of the highest graded green B&B/Self Caterings in the UK & Ireland.
- Gold Award Taste of the West Flavour Awards 2012
- Silver Award Winner B&B of the Year Devon Tourism 2011
- Highly Commended for B&B of the Year in all the South West of England 2011/12
- Gold Award for Hedgehog Corner B&B - Visit England annually
- 4 Star for Hedgehog Corner B&B - Visit England annually
- Prue Leith (Kensington) School of Cookery Diploma 1991
- Gold Award for Green Tourism in Business annually
- Winner of Lyme Regis Best Garden Competition 2000, 2007 and 2011
- National Breakfast Award 2009, 2010,2011,2012 - Visit England
- Welcome to Excellence Hospitality NCFE + Visit Devon, Jurassic Coast & Gold Host.
- Jurassic Coast Quality in Business Accreditation
- BQF Committed to Excellence Accreditation (EFQM/C2F) Programme Certificate
- Safer Food Better Business Certificate - EDDC
- Food Safety in Catering Certificate - CIEH
- Health & Safety Certificate - CIEH
- Current Member of the British Quality Federation 2012/13
- Committee Member of Axminster Chamber of Trade that wholly supports our Tourist Information Centre
- Included in Rose Prince (Telegraph's Food Writer) "Guide to Local Produce" 2010, 2011 and 2012
- One of the "The Top 100 Places to Stay in England" Sunday Times Magazine & enjoyEngland
- STEM Ambassador for Schools (Hospitality & Tourism)
- Member of the ASPIRE programme with Axe Valley College (Hospitality & Tourism)
- Member of Axminster & Lyme Regis TICs & related Hospitality Associations
- Taste of the West Membership
- Member of DEBI (Devon Environmental Business Initiative)
- Leeson House Field Studies Centre Joy is a visiting lecturer in Hospitality
Congratulations to Tara on winning the Silver Award for "Outstanding Customer Service" at the South West Tourism Awards February 2013.
Tara, our Manager, has worked with Joy at Hedgehog Corner since 2005. She is from a well known local family - a true Devonian from Axminster. Tara is font of local information and only too pleased to answer guests queries on making the most of their visit to our Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty here on the Jurassic Coast.
Tara: "Outstanding Customer Service" Silver Award South West Tourism February 2013
Tara: "Outstanding Customer Service" Braonze Award Devon Tourism Awards November 2012
- Welcome to Excellence NCFE Certificate all units.
- Level 2 & Level 3 in NVQs
- Food Safety in Catering Certificate - CIEH - Level 2
- Food Safety Management Level 3
- First Aid Certificate - NEAT
- Emergency First Aid at Work - Level 2
- Fire Warden Course Certificate - Firewatch SW Ltd
- NCFE level 2 in customer service
- Level 2 and Level 3 BTEC in Customer Service gained through the National Skills Academy for Hospitality
City and Guilds Level 2 NVQ in Multi-Skilled Hospitality Services.
- ILM Level 3 Award in First Line Management
- Institute of Hospitality Aspiring Managers Development Programme accreditation
- Full Welcome to Excellence Accreditation NCFE +Jurassic Coast, Visit Devon & Gold Host.
Our Awards and Why We Have Them
The inspiration to undertake various hospitality exams and enter awards stems from Joy's wish to improve every area of our accommodation and deliver excellent customer service.
The National Awards we have are as much about having completed and passed extensive courses in customer service, food hygiene, first aid, fire and health & safety training and meeting legislative requirements (there were 69 at the last count for B&Bs!) meeting accommodation standards from Visit England 'mystery' Inspectors as well as being an attractive property with gardens that are all maintained to a high standard.
The judges are from professional and recognised institutions within the hospitality industry and we found it a great opportunity to learn more from their feedback.
We hope our achievements reassure future guests that a high level of hospitality and accommodation will be provided during their stay - as well as value for money and a warm welcome - all endorsed by professionals within the hospitality industry.
We are VAT registered which is a reflection of our transparency and success built up over 15 years in business. We do not add VAT to the room rate but have absorbed it into our tariff - this keeps us competitively priced when compared to other accommodations.
Fire Safety: For your peace of mind we comply with the Fire Safety Order of 2005 - which is now pertinent to all Guest Accommodations - with fire doors, emergency lighting, smoke, heat, carbon alarms, extinguishers and PAT testing.
Access Statement Available on this web site or just phone for a chat to see if we can meet your requirements. Assistance dogs i.e. guide and hearing dogs most welcome.
Trip Advisor: We hold several Excellence Award Certificates but choose not to display them as they are based on travellers personal opinions which can be read on the web site. We prefer to display awards we have achieved from independent inspections from recognised bodies within the hospitality industry which cannot be manipulated.