Hedgehog Corner has true eco credentials being a past UK winner of the Green Tourism In Business Goldstar and are proud to support The Jurassic Coast. The money the Trust raises contributes towards conservation and education projects all along the World Heritage Site, helping to spread learning and understanding about this globally unique coastline, and, crucially, to safeguard it so that future generations can enjoy it as much as we do today.
Here are some of the projects that you will be supporting by staying at Hedgehog Corner:
Charmouth & Lyme Regis Fossil Warden
The Jurassic Coast Trust funds a Fossil Warden to patrol the beaches at Charmouth and Lyme Regis. The warden advises people on the best places to look for fossils and, most importantly, how to stay safe and avoid the dangers of cliff falls.
The Trust organises training days for local school teachers, allowing them to inspire their classes about the spectacular site on their doorstep. The training is followed up with a grant to advance children’s learning through field trips and additional resources.
Great Dorset Beach Clean
The Trust provides equipment for the Great Dorset Beach Clean, which not only helps to protect our coastline from litter, but provides a fantastic and safe opportunity for local families and visitors to get hands-on and involved in looking after our World Heritage Site.
Mary Anning Fund
The Trust contributes towards the Mary Anning Fund, which pays for prime Jurassic Coast fossil finds to be displayed at local museums for all residents and visitors to enjoy.
Axe Valley Bird and Animal Park
Situated just two miles along the road this is a wonderful animal sanctuary to visit – with meerkats.
Green Policy & Statement
- Eco Shepherd Hut set in Organic meadow
- Eco Heating Hot Tubs
- Use of electric car charging point Type 2 at Hedgehog Corner (fee applies).
- Protecting the environment is important to us and we hope that you will play your part too whilst staying at Hedgehog Corner.
- In 2013 Winner of The Green Tourism in Business UK Goldstar for Guest Accommodation.
- We are committed to meeting legislative requirements.
- We love this part of Devon on the border with Dorset set within the East Devon National Landscape, here on the World Heritage Jurassic Coast and trying to look after it for future generations. We hope you enjoy your visit to this Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty as much as we enjoy living here.
- We are trying to do our bit and keep it the area beautiful for everybody. Much of what makes this place special is the history and unspoiled beauty of its natural landscape.
- Joy has undertaken a training courses in Green Awareness.
- We are committed to reducing pollution where possible with particular attention to removing ragwort immediately if spotted in our fields and on verges.
- Joy regularly takes a bin liner and picks up roadside rubbish thrown from cars between our front entrance and our home nearby.
- Water butt rainwater collection.
- We have installed a solar Photovaltaic system on the roof using an exemplary local firm Evergreen Renewables
- Our gardens are ideal for wildlife & wild flowers are encouraged
We have moved over to ethical and eco friendly products wherever possible. Light bulbs are replaced. More purchases i.e. loo roll, kitchen rolls, paper and cleaning products are being bought from Out of Eden a recognised supplier to the trade.
In your property we provide Eco-friendly teas, coffees, washing up liquid, washing up powder and dishwasher tablets – all from the Ecover Range or Bio Range.
Toiletries in the bathrooms are from eco friendly company.
The Lyme Bay Wine shop with a wide range of ciders and wine is nearby at Shute some 4 miles from Hedgehog Corner.
May we point you to Millers Farm Shop just along the A35 (2 miles), the River Cottage Shop in Axminster (2.5 miles). In Lyme Regis there is fabulous fresh fish at The Watch House on Lyme Regis Cobb.
Joy is a font of information on all things local so please just ask.
- Eco Heating hot tubs
- Solar panels
- Eco insulated Shepherd hut
- We have an EV Type 2 point at Hedgehog Corner for your electric car (fee applies).
- The Central Heating radiators have thermostatic valves so you can adjust your heat accordingly.
- The property is double glazed with insulation in the roof and pipes are well lagged to stop energy escaping.
- Many of our appliances, including the boiler, are relatively new and thus energy efficient.
- We have sensor outside lighting and encourage guests to turn lights off when not in use.
- We have a Quooker (kitchen tap) in the for instant energy efficient instant boiling water in Acorns and our home – standby cost 3p per day!
- The toilets have twin flushes – the smaller button for the short flush – or are modern 6 litre flushes.
- Linen is line dried where practicable and we have an eco drier installed for our general laundry.
For the wildlife we have a wonderful natural habitat with pure organic meadow grass. In the fields are foxes, badgers, deer and rabbits which can all be spotted.
We support local artists.
We have walking guides at Hedgehog Corner for you to use. Please note there have been cliff falls and mudslides on parts of the Jurassic Coast and you should heed any warning signs.
There is a recycling box at Hedgehog Corner for your paper, plastic, tins and glass. A food waste box with biodegradable bags provided.
The Railways station at Axminster has a regular service to Waterloo. From the train station the X51 or X53 goes to the Hunters Lodge pub (3 mins walk from us) at the top of our road or catch it from the pub to go on to the coast at Lyme Regis. Walk the lanes into Lyme 1 hour (ask Joy for directions avoiding the main road).
We have an on line booking system which reduces the need for most paper and postal services.
We hope you have enjoyed reading our contribution on an increasingly important subject.